How many are too many?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting.. I would be curious. I know as a nurse I felt like 4 was plenty to keep me busy but that was in hospitals. I think it makes it really hard/unsafe to be spread too thin. Mornique how many residents do you have on an average shift? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanny said:

That's interesting.. I would be curious. I know as a nurse I felt like 4 was plenty to keep me busy but that was in hospitals. I think it makes it really hard/unsafe to be spread too thin. Mornique how many residents do you have on an average shift? 

On average about 16. I've gone to some facilities they give you a full double hallway with just you and the nurse to attend to 20+ residents.

I honestly think it's crazy TX doesn't have a nursing ratio to patient's. Which can be very overwhelming especially on first shift. With all the get up, meals, bathing toileting and answering call lights. 

4 hours ago, Mornique Dicey said:

On average about 16. I've gone to some facilities they give you a full double hallway with just you and the nurse to attend to 20+ residents.

I honestly think it's crazy TX doesn't have a nursing ratio to patient's. Which can be very overwhelming especially on first shift. With all the get up, meals, bathing toileting and answering call lights. 

Yes that's insane! How do you manage your time and stay safe and sane? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Montana Hiltbrand said:

Yes that's insane! How do you manage your time and stay safe and sane? 

😅 when I go to a new or fairly new facility at the start of my shift if it's an AM. I ask the nurse who needs to be up for breakfast, the showers for the days, if anyone has appointments. Start there then take it one resident at a time. When I feel overwhelmed I kill that feeling with kindness and sing, "I'm trying my best, trying my best, doodoo that's all I can do." I'm a very positive outgoing person with high energy so it does balance out. Sometimes I do spend a bit of break charting just to get it out of the way.

Edited by Mornique Dicey

15 minutes ago, Mornique Dicey said:

😅 when I go to a new or fairly new facility at the start of my shift if it's an AM. I ask the nurse who needs to be up for breakfast, the showers for the days, if anyone has appointments. Start there then take it one resident at a time. When I feel overwhelmed I kill that feeling with kindness and sing, "I'm trying my best, trying my best, doodoo that's all I can do." I'm a very positive outgoing person with high energy so it does balance out. Sometimes I do spend a bit of break charting just to get it out of the way.

I love this! So glad you shared. Hearing other people's routines/tips and tricks helps a ton. 

• Like 1