How many of you are not taking breaks?

Miranda Belcher

Question

Where do you work? Are you able to take your breaks? I know a lot of nurses forgo their breaks so they can catch up on charting or might even sneak a snack as they don't feel that they have sufficient time to take a break, but I firmly believe a 30-minute lunch away from your work is good for recharging. What are other nurses doing? Are you taking your breaks?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

6 answers to this question

Just a friendly reminder that working through your lunch is ILLEGAL in most states. Nursa doesn't pay you for not taking a lunch and YOU ARE SENDING THE WRONG MESSAGE TO THE FACILITIES YOU WORK FOR, is like they think nurses don't mind not taking a lunch/break. If you are engaging in this behavior PLEASE STOP. you can't take care of others properly if your not taking care of yourself first. NURSING is already demanding WE NEED TO LET FACILITIES KNOW WE NEED TO GET PROPERLY RELIEVED FOR LUNCH. STOP MAKING COORPORATIONS Richer while sacrificing your well being. STOP AND GO TO LUNCH ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Comfort 1

On 7/24/2024 at 12:42 AM, Blue_owl_vintage said:

Just a friendly reminder that working through your lunch is ILLEGAL in most states. Nursa doesn't pay you for not taking a lunch and YOU ARE SENDING THE WRONG MESSAGE TO THE FACILITIES YOU WORK FOR, is like they think nurses don't mind not taking a lunch/break. If you are engaging in this behavior PLEASE STOP. you can't take care of others properly if your not taking care of yourself first. NURSING is already demanding WE NEED TO LET FACILITIES KNOW WE NEED TO GET PROPERLY RELIEVED FOR LUNCH. STOP MAKING COORPORATIONS Richer while sacrificing your well being. STOP AND GO TO LUNCH ❤️

I 100% agree with this. More nurses need to be firm on this issue, as I see too many nurses feeling pressured into not taking their breaks by either colleagues or facilities, it needs to change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenna Nurse said:

Great question. I think everyone needs a break when they are working, especially many nurses who are on their feet alllll day! They deserve time to put their feet up!

I agree, but the problem is the shortage, in most other work environments - people do get to take breaks - but in nursing, it's sadly become normalized to not get your breaks due to the high patient loads and responsibilities. It's crazy out there.

• Like 2