Any advice on switching careers and going into nursing?

Laila Ighani

Question

Hello, nurses! I have worked in education most of my life, but I have always had a passion for healthcare. I am considering a career change and becoming a nurse, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. I would greatly appreciate any words of advice or personal experiences from those who have made a similar career switch. Thank you in advance for any insights and guidance you can offer!

• Like 2
  • Comfort 1

2 answers to this question

You could try some volunteer work in healthcare just to get a taste of it. Those who are not yet nurses or healthcare professionals can help with things like greeting patients and families, showing them where to go, or translating if you happen to know another language. It can be helpful to accompany someone who seems a little lost. Of course, you do not actually practice nursing, but you can see something of the work environment and maybe even get a chance to talk with nurses although they tend to be very busy. I'm sure you can find volunteer opportunities in your area.

• Comfort 1