How do you feel about providing end-of-life care?

End-of-life care is an important topic that is often met with mixed emotions. For some, it can be a difficult and emotionally taxing task, while for others, it may bring a sense of fulfillment and purpose. Caregivers are confronted with the responsibility of providing comfort and support to those who are nearing the end of their journey. Caring for someone in their final moments can evoke a range of feelings - sadness, gratitude, fear, and even joy. Nurses have different experiences with this type of care, and it would be fascinating to hear your thoughts and reflections.

• Comfort 1

Guest Anonymous

Wow! I have never done anything like this before. I did care for and visited some old friends who, sadly, passed away, but I look at the experience as a positive one cause I was able to bring joy to their last days. I wish some of them would still be alive, though. I think this type of care must be a very hard journey for nurses.

In one word, honored. All too often, many nurses neglect dying patients because they don't voice their needs and if there is no family present, they often don't even go in their rooms for oral care each hour or turning and repositioning every 2 hours. It's sad. I take pride in coming in and keeping their mouths moist, their position comfortable, and pain managed and I could care less if family is at the bedside or not, I am honored to keep a patient comfortable in their last moments. You can read my blog where I wrote about such an experience. https://nursa.com/blog/providing-compassionate-end-of-life-care-as-a-nurse

• Comfort 1