Depression and Anxiety among Mothers

One in every five mothers suffer depression, anxiety, or substance use disorder during pregnancy or in the postpartum period, and at least half struggle with these complex and disabling issues without treatment, often too embarrassed to seek the help they need.

One practical approach to this problem is integrating mental health screenings into routine prenatal and postpartum visits to help identify and address maternal mental health issues early on. This reduces stigma and makes it easier to access care.

Do you know if your hospital or clinic has integrated mental health into prenatal or maternity visits?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

14 hours ago, Crystal Baker Shoaie said:

One in every five mothers suffer depression, anxiety, or substance use disorder during pregnancy or in the postpartum period, and at least half struggle with these complex and disabling issues without treatment, often too embarrassed to seek the help they need.

One practical approach to this problem is integrating mental health screenings into routine prenatal and postpartum visits to help identify and address maternal mental health issues early on. This reduces stigma and makes it easier to access care.

Do you know if your hospital or clinic has integrated mental health into prenatal or maternity visits?

This is a good question. While it may sound strange, the hospital I worked at sent home a contract you were supposed to sign to yourself, promising not to shake your baby! I was quite thrown off to find this in my postpartum papers when I had a baby at that hospital. That said, no one talked to me or reached out regarding postpartum depression. I also had lactation issues and was in there 2 times a week for lactation consults and no one talked to me at all about how I was feeling as a new mother who couldn't produce milk and that didn't give me depression but it made me sad and like my body failed me.

• Like 1
  • Comfort 1
  • Insightful 1

It's hard to become a mother nowadays! Without a community, it's just a lot of pressure, and for the first years, you don't sleep well, you don't eat well, etc.

I think the hardest part is the stigma, the not being able to complain too much, and the pressure to be a good mother, have your house clean, have a great relationship with your partner, breastfeed exclusively, and at the same time have a career. When you relax and find a community that empowers you and makes you feel welcome, you get rid of expectations and you just can be a great mom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Comfort 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:24 AM, Karin Zonneveld said:

It's hard to become a mother nowadays! Without a community, it's just a lot of pressure, and for the first years, you don't sleep well, you don't eat well, etc.

I think the hardest part is the stigma, the not being able to complain too much, and the pressure to be a good mother, have your house clean, have a great relationship with your partner, breastfeed exclusively, and at the same time have a career. When you relax and find a community that empowers you and makes you feel welcome, you get rid of expectations and you just can be a great mom!

I love this and you have illustrated it so well.

• Like 2
  • Comfort 1

Yes, it is hard. Family, friends, colleagues have such different expectations, and you have to come to terms with your own ideas about maternity. It is perhaps the richest experience in life as far as sweet moments, deep love and bonding go, but it is also immensely demanding and a heavy responsibility. I tell you, being a grandmother is a whole lot easier!

• Like 1
  • Comfort 2

On 9/12/2024 at 6:28 PM, Crystal Baker Shoaie said:

Yes, it is hard. Family, friends, colleagues have such different expectations, and you have to come to terms with your own ideas about maternity. It is perhaps the richest experience in life as far as sweet moments, deep love and bonding go, but it is also immensely demanding and a heavy responsibility. I tell you, being a grandmother is a whole lot easier!

I'm looking forward to becoming a grandma and being able to spoil someone LOL

• Like 1

Thank you for shedding light on this important issue. It's heartbreaking to know how many mothers silently struggle with depression, anxiety, or substance use disorder during such a vulnerable time. Your suggestion to integrate mental health screenings into routine prenatal and postpartum visits is not just practical but essential. This approach can make a huge difference in normalizing mental health care and ensuring that mothers receive the support they need early on, without the added burden of stigma or shame.

I'll definitely look into more of this issue and mental health support. 

Thank you for highlighting this—your advocacy could truly help so many mothers feel less alone and more empowered to seek the help they deserve.