Death and taxes

Guest Kimberly Griffin4804500565

Question

So as nurses, death is due to be a part of our lives. It would be good to be able to talk about death and how it affects us. There's nobody else that can relate to us than us...

Another important topic is taxes. It's important for people, especially New nurses to registry, to plan and be prepared for having to pay them. It can be an overwhelming shock to "do" your taxes and find out that you owe thousands of dollars you probably don't have, due to being independent contractors. My tax accountant recommended paying them quarterly by buying vouchers from the Treasury dept...how does everyone else deal with it?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

For Taxes I heard that Quickbooks is an easy way to keep track of 10-99 taxes. They take everything out for you and keep everything organized and it seems pretty affordable!

As far as losing a patient, it's always hard! I also think its important to validate clinician's emotions, although we are not family, we look after them as though they are. We are some of the last people they see and talk to. It's okay to be sad and take time to go grieve.

Guest Montana Hiltbrand
22 hours ago, Kimberly Griffin4804500565 said:

So as nurses, death is due to be a part of our lives. It would be good to be able to talk about death and how it affects us. There's nobody else that can relate to us than us...

Another important topic is taxes. It's important for people, especially New nurses to registry, to plan and be prepared for having to pay them. It can be an overwhelming shock to "do" your taxes and find out that you owe thousands of dollars you probably don't have, due to being independent contractors. My tax accountant recommended paying them quarterly by buying vouchers from the Treasury dept...how does everyone else deal with it?

I agree completely. I have lost a patient and you have so much to process mentally and emotionally and often int he middle of a long shift. I think talking about it helps. I would love to hear how other people cope and any recommendations they might have. I am so glad you brought this up Kimberly.
As far as taxes go, I believe that is a huge issue. I know we here at Nursa have heard that from several clinicians. This is a great place to ask that. As a company we are limited in our ability to advise however I am sure other clinicians have perspectives that would be very helpful in this regard. Anyone please comment, we could all benefit!

This is a job where, even though we do try hard, we most likely bring our "work" home with us...how can we not??? We are human and we feel...how are people coping at home to not "take it out" on our families or even prevent us from isolating ourselves for some "me time"

and a question i have to see how prevalent this occurrance is...anybody received a dead person at shift change because the prior shift didnt want to deal with it? There are at least 2 that I know of...how long did it take to realize that happened?