Please revise facilities contract

Jamesha

Question

I’m new to nursa. Since being on nursa I’ve requested so many different positions as a CNA that were available 3 and 4 days prior. The day of my shifts I receive a notification saying my shift is already filled. Then an hour before that scheduled shift. I’m asked if I am still available to work the shift. (No, because once I was told filled. I went to my day job for work).Which shows someone the facility gave the position to they called in.  I’m having a hard time understanding this. It seems to be a bit unprofessional and misleading. This should be a first come first serve situation. I am so grateful that I did not leave my day job to become an continuous employee with nursa because I would be without work due to the fact of the facilities having their favorite  picks on staff. Which apparently their favorite picks don’t even show up for work. I chose to sign up for nursa because I’m currently working in the hospital 3 days of the week and its 12 hr shifts Doing overtime would be a bit much. Nursa gives you the benefit of working 8 hr shifts which works well for me plus from my understanding it’s a weekly pay,but what’s the hassle in requesting to work to only be disappointed when you’re rejected the day your shift starts. Nursa contract with these facilities needs to be revised because it’s unfair. Especially for families that really needs work to help feed their families.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 answers to this question

I think it's great facilities get to choose what is best for the residents and facility. It could be hard work and first impressions that gives them the true power of who is coming to work in their facility. Facilities like to keep familiar faces so the residents can feel more comfortable, since it's "always" a new face. 

There are other platforms that allow the option to instantly book a shift.

• Like 1

I disagree,,

The scheduling department is not on the floor durning shift. Just to let it be known familiar faces doesn’t always mean the residents are getting the proper care that is needed. (For example)Just because I see John Doe has been coming to the facility for 3 months consistently. I’ll schedule him. Not knowing if he’s changing his people accordingly and providing absolutely the best care. The resident asked for a bath but John Doe refuses. I’m new to nursa but I’ve been in this field long enough to know. As I said mentioned as long as Nursa is hiring for PRN shifts in these fields as follows. Everyone deserves and opportunity to get shifts in the order as they are picked but we all have our own opinions.

Edited by Jamesha
  • Like 2

Yes and no. No they shouldn’t be able to say filled and then ask you to come in because hey, I went somewhere else or made plans - especially the ones that act like you owed them that after they declined you. 

But, one facility I frequent I’m a favorite at. Not to pat my own back, but they told me I get preference because they like how I work and I guess the residents like me well enough to ask where I’m at or when I’m coming back. I definitely like the residents there, even the ones that core staff say are a problem, only one gives me a bad time and I just don’t deal with them alone anymore. 

of course they should get to choose who gets the shift. I’ve seen some from agency that literally went and slept in the break room and all kinds of things and that facility should have the option to not ever pick them up again. 

I get the frustration though. It took me forever to pick up a few of my first shifts. Always filled blah blah blah, but when I finally did, I made sure to make a good impression. It’s been a lot easier since. 

• Like 2

I can somewhat agree with you on that but I just feel as if nursa needs to clarify before application status that shifts are NOT guaranteed when requesting for work. That facilities will pick and choose if they will hire you for a shift.It’s misleading staff to believe once you’re approved to work. U will be guaranteed the shifts you request to work and that’s not at all the case. We’re actually fighting to find work. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone! thanks all @Mornique Dicey@Shamica@Ashley Clark! 🙂 

First, welcome @Jamesha, so happy to have you!

I know it can be frustrating when you are starting out and requesting and not getting picked for the intended shifts. I know there are a lot of clinicians like yourself using the app that are really wanting to work hard. As you are contracted through the facility, they always choose who they pick up for a shift. We can offer some tips that have helped others get scheduled too. It could be (as you stated above) that the clinician they chose has a more established relationship from working at a facility, which provides the patients with continuity of care.

1. Upload all credentials! If you have done this, you are off to a great start!
  2. Request more shifts - if you are requesting, great! I would advise you to request about 3-4 for the time you want to work. The app will not double-book you!
  3. Create a relationship with the facility - some facilities like to keep using people they are familiar with. Calling and talking to facilities directly about how you are wanting to work at their facility has helped a lot of clinicians to get started at a facility.
  4. Refer other facilities in your area so we can help provide more shifts - You can use this form (https://nursa.com/support-leads/) if you have any contacts at facilities that could use help. If you don't have a specific contact you can just enter in the facility in the company line and any other details leaving the first and last name blank.
  5. If you still have questions about starting out you can schedule a quick call with our onboarding coaches here: https://calendly.com/gtm-3/onboarding-call

Is there somewhere you felt like we said we had guaranteed requested jobs would be approved? I want to make sure we are being clear in our messaging if there is any confusion. You mentioned clarifying the application status, clarifying that you aren't guaranteed jobs, or clarifying if your shift request has been approved or not?

• Thanks 1

Gm,

I have uploaded all my credentials. I’ve requested numerous of shifts that were available. The day that my shift should began. I then have an notification saying it’s been filled.How can I create a relationship with any facility that has filled the position to someone else. 
What I mean as for misleading is some of the nursa logos like this one Stating 

NURSA provides you a safe and secure place to store your credentials, and find AVAILABLE  per-diem  work close to home or across the country in real-time.

The shifts really are NOT Available if you pick it up and it’s given to another staff. Nursa needs to just clarify that shifts you are requesting to work are not guaranteed. That it is strictly facility approval. 

I will call the office to talk with a live person if I have further questions and If I do decide to continue fighting for a shift to work through nursa.

Good Luck to everyone that is new to nursa and are also battling to find PRN shifts to work... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamesha said:

I can somewhat agree with you on that but I just feel as if nursa needs to clarify before application status that shifts are NOT guaranteed when requesting for work. That facilities will pick and choose if they will hire you for a shift.It’s misleading staff to believe once you’re approved to work. U will be guaranteed the shifts you request to work and that’s not at all the case. We’re actually fighting to find work. 

I didn’t read it to say you’re guaranteed anything. If you want to go the route, there are staffing agencies that will be happy to put you in a contract and guarantee hours and pay. 

I haven’t been with Nursa that long, I actually just got a notification that it was 1 year with them a couple of days ago. It isn’t like seniority at all. I use it exclusively for work because my life is a mess. I don’t always get the shifts I request either. I know one thing one facility I’ve been to does is they’ll post it on Nursa, then call or text me (and others) to see if anyone wants it. I will usually take it. Now, say you see this shift that’s starting in 3 hours and you request it but the facility does what that one does. I request it and it’s filled because they waited for me so they could choose. Now it shows filled for you because they hand picked who they wanted already. 

somethig else you can do and I have done when you’re struggling to get shifts you want is to message the facility. It’s on the request page. How about send them a short message, introduce yourself a little, ask any questions that pertain to their place. I guarantee that when they go to pick you’re on their mind from your introduction. 

• Like 1

Gm,

Its clearly spoken that I am not the only one going through the hassle of picking up shifts.  My opinion is towards nursa. To make them aware of the difficulties new staff are having coming onboard. As you mentioned being with nursa for over a year. This post doesn’t relate to you but thank you for your opinion. 

Nursa just needs to revise this 

NURSA provides you a safe and secure place to store your credentials, and find AVAILABLE  per-diem  work close to home or across the country in real-time.

It’s clear the shifts are NOT available if it’s given to another employee when you’ve requested it before them days prior.. Myself finding an agency job has nothing to do with new staff coming aboard. This will be an ongoing issue if it’s not addressed in a timely matter....

IF I have any questions forward. I will contact the management team. Have A GREAT DAY 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 7:06 AM, Jamesha said:

Gm,

Its clearly spoken that I am not the only one going through the hassle of picking up shifts.  My opinion is towards nursa. To make them aware of the difficulties new staff are having coming onboard. As you mentioned being with nursa for over a year. This post doesn’t relate to you but thank you for your opinion. 

Nursa just needs to revise this 

It’s clear the shifts are NOT available if it’s given to another employee when you’ve requested it before them days prior.. Myself finding an agency job has nothing to do with new staff coming aboard. This will be an ongoing issue if it’s not addressed in a timely matter....

IF I have any questions forward. I will contact the management team. Have A GREAT DAY 

im sorry, I didn’t mean anything like that. Just sharing what helped me get more shifts because I definitely had this struggle for months, and still do sometimes. I try to always send a short note to introduce myself to one’s I haven’t been to yet, it keeps me from going in not knowing expectations, and makes them remember me for at least a moment. 

i hope it goes better for you in the future! 

On 10/8/2022 at 9:11 PM, Jamesha said:

I’m new to nursa. Since being on nursa I’ve requested so many different positions as a CNA that were available 3 and 4 days prior. The day of my shifts I receive a notification saying my shift is already filled. Then an hour before that scheduled shift. I’m asked if I am still available to work the shift. (No, because once I was told filled. I went to my day job for work).Which shows someone the facility gave the position to they called in.  I’m having a hard time understanding this. It seems to be a bit unprofessional and misleading. This should be a first come first serve situation. I am so grateful that I did not leave my day job to become an continuous employee with nursa because I would be without work due to the fact of the facilities having their favorite  picks on staff. Which apparently their favorite picks don’t even show up for work. I chose to sign up for nursa because I’m currently working in the hospital 3 days of the week and its 12 hr shifts Doing overtime would be a bit much. Nursa gives you the benefit of working 8 hr shifts which works well for me plus from my understanding it’s a weekly pay,but what’s the hassle in requesting to work to only be disappointed when you’re rejected the day your shift starts. Nursa contract with these facilities needs to be revised because it’s unfair. Especially for families that really needs work to help feed their families.