Canceling shifts

Kieran  Donahue

Question

Large facility in my area that is ran by a religious organization recently became a customer.  I decided to book multiple shifts.  I showed up for the first shift and I was double booked with another agency.  They decided to keep me for that shift.  The second shift they told me in person that they no longer want the shift.  I guess I didn't realize its totally up to them to cancel shifts.  Why is that?  After calling support on two different days I decided to cancel all my shifts for the week and take the 2 week ban since there was no way to fix the issue.  Maybe its just me, but I hate driving across town or maybe really far and being sent home even if I am getting whatever show up pay there is.  I guess some other lucky individual got $8hr more since it was flagged as last minute in the system when I canceled, but I bet they got sent home too.  It makes me look foolish when we already discussed that they didn't need the shift.  There are some education issues with these facilities especially if they are new.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Krishna Floisand
This post was recognized by Krishna Floisand!

TAJUANA (*nickname KITTY) MUNDAY was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 50 points.

1 hour ago, Kieran Donahue said:

Large facility in my area that is ran by a religious organization recently became a customer.  I decided to book multiple shifts.  I showed up for the first shift and I was double booked with another agency.  They decided to keep me for that shift.  The second shift they told me in person that they no longer want the shift.  I guess I didn't realize its totally up to them to cancel shifts.  Why is that?  After calling support on two different days I decided to cancel all my shifts for the week and take the 2 week ban since there was no way to fix the issue.  Maybe its just me, but I hate driving across town or maybe really far and being sent home even if I am getting whatever show up pay there is.  I guess some other lucky individual got $8hr more since it was flagged as last minute in the system when I canceled, but I bet they got sent home too.  It makes me look foolish when we already discussed that they didn't need the shift.  There are some education issues with these facilities especially if they are new.

If I understand right, you picked up several shifts at a new facility, all at once through the agency you're affiliated with. And when you arrived for the first shift you had scheduled, you found out that they had not only scheduled you, but that they had scheduled another HCP from a different agency? For that shift, they agreed to allow you to work the shift anyway, but the subsequent shift they sent you home AFTER you arrived, saying that they had again double booked and didn't need you? I feel your pain having once driven 38 miles to a facility only to be told the same thing! Howsoever I learned 2 lessons from it. First lesson: never book multiple shifts with a new facility at the start. Book just one to see how it works out and if there are any issues. You can always pick up more shifts later if they work out And second, we ALL have the ability to check with the facility directly prior to needing to head there, and can verify before driving all that way that they either still need us or they don't but they forgot to cancel. I do agree that facilities should face stiffer penalties for cancelling like that, especially if they become known for doing so often. Since I'm new with Nursa, I'm unfamiliar with their particular policy on this issue. However, I've worked with another agency in the past who had a facility that kept cancelling like that, and after so many times they removed the facilities remaining open shifts from their site for a period of time and admonished the facilities staffer. It's unprofessional of the facility staffer, and the agencies need to acknowledge that. Good luck with picking future shifts/facilities. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TAJUANA (*nickname KITTY) MUNDAY said:

If I understand right, you picked up several shifts at a new facility, all at once through the agency you're affiliated with. And when you arrived for the first shift you had scheduled, you found out that they had not only scheduled you, but that they had scheduled another HCP from a different agency? For that shift, they agreed to allow you to work the shift anyway, but the subsequent shift they sent you home AFTER you arrived, saying that they had again double booked and didn't need you? I feel your pain having once driven 38 miles to a facility only to be told the same thing! Howsoever I learned 2 lessons from it. First lesson: never book multiple shifts with a new facility at the start. Book just one to see how it works out and if there are any issues. You can always pick up more shifts later if they work out And second, we ALL have the ability to check with the facility directly prior to needing to head there, and can verify before driving all that way that they either still need us or they don't but they forgot to cancel. I do agree that facilities should face stiffer penalties for cancelling like that, especially if they become known for doing so often. Since I'm new with Nursa, I'm unfamiliar with their particular policy on this issue. However, I've worked with another agency in the past who had a facility that kept cancelling like that, and after so many times they removed the facilities remaining open shifts from their site for a period of time and admonished the facilities staffer. It's unprofessional of the facility staffer, and the agencies need to acknowledge that. Good luck with picking future shifts/facilities. 

I probably have some fault here, but if the facility specifically tells you they no longer need the shift and neglect to remove it from the app then I feel like I have done all I can by calling Nursa and asking for the shift to be removed.  I called twice.  After the second time I took the penalty of 2 weeks no work.  There are other agencies that want my efforts more.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mornique Dicey said:

I've spoke with support on a similar issue they advised me to have the facility cancel the shift. Because they can put the reason why they cancel. If you cancel any shift at any time before 24 hours or with in you'll be ban for 2 week.

I personally love that they have this policy. 

I made somebody $8hr more to show up to a shift and be sent home.  How does that make sense?  The system triggered a premium since it was less than 8 hours until the shift started.  I canceled it while chatting with support.

• Like 1