Guest Montana Hiltbrand

I was just talking with a clinician about how she sometimes works strike work. I am interested to know what it's like for her. There are so many interesting sides to something like strikes. Some people feel they need to do whatever it takes to provide for their families and others are very adamant about not working during the strike and supporting their fellow nurses to enact change.

Guest Montana Hiltbrand
12 hours ago, Kieran Donahue said:

My sister participated in a 5 day strike recently.  They were offering $14,000 a week for replacement workers.  They caved eventually and met their demands.  

That's so interesting. What were their demands? How was the experience for your sister? 

I’ve worked 11 strikes over the last 16 years in various states. My personal advice not professional advice is this. To know something is by obtaining knowledge first handed with your own eyes that seen, your ears that heard and the miles on your own shoes. Take nothing for face value, fact check the words said of everyone and everything while obtaining true and factual knowledge. Regardless of how controversial, unpopular within your social and societal taboo’s, even if it doesn’t aligned with your belief’s and morals. Seeking knowledge is vital, obtaining that knowledge and is invaluable and I believe that is where wisdom starts. Strikes are not glamorous and no richer than the day before. I’ve seen the ugliest of characters and the most remarkable characters (life changing characters!) at every strike. With all that being said I pass on this truth, your going to see the same nurses at every strike. They’re all from same geographical area of the states. Most, embarrassingly are not bright and have an educational Tread lightly, no one is your friend or wants to you succeed. You only have yourself to depend on, so be the you that’s knowledgeable and seeks wisdom. 

12 hours ago, Kyrie Papenfuss said:

Wow that's wild! Also curious to know what the demands were

You can read about it.  The article doesn't explain it fully, but they wanted flexibility with days off and the hospital wouldn't budge.  The hospital also made a ton of money and was being super cheap.

here.  https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/stanford-nurses-hospital-strike-ends-ratified-agreement/623043/

Edited by Kieran Donahue
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Elizabeth Temean said:

I’ve worked 11 strikes over the last 16 years in various states. My personal advice not professional advice is this. To know something is by obtaining knowledge first handed with your own eyes that seen, your ears that heard and the miles on your own shoes. Take nothing for face value, fact check the words said of everyone and everything while obtaining true and factual knowledge. Regardless of how controversial, unpopular within your social and societal taboo’s, even if it doesn’t aligned with your belief’s and morals. Seeking knowledge is vital, obtaining that knowledge and is invaluable and I believe that is where wisdom starts. Strikes are not glamorous and no richer than the day before. I’ve seen the ugliest of characters and the most remarkable characters (life changing characters!) at every strike. With all that being said I pass on this truth, your going to see the same nurses at every strike. They’re all from same geographical area of the states. Most, embarrassingly are not bright and have an educational Tread lightly, no one is your friend or wants to you succeed. You only have yourself to depend on, so be the you that’s knowledgeable and seeks wisdom. 

11 strikes in 16 years?!? I asked the right person lol! I love that you talked about just obtaining knowledge, even if it doesn't align with your personal beliefs. It's always good to be well-versed and knowledgable. I've never participated in a strike myself but why do you feel like so many of the nurses showing up to strikes are not super bright??

13 hours ago, Kieran Donahue said:

You can read about it.  The article doesn't explain it fully, but they wanted flexibility with days off and the hospital wouldn't budge.  The hospital also made a ton of money and was being super cheap.

here.  https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/stanford-nurses-hospital-strike-ends-ratified-agreement/623043/

I hate that the hospitals are being cheap. In the end it's just more detrimental for them.