Nueva Koehler

Question

It’s Halloween time...has anyone had an experience at work that gave you goosebumps? I had an experience a couple of days with a resident that, to this day, gives me goosebumps when I think about it—just a bit of background. I am half Asian and half Northwestern European. I identify as Asian because I grew up In an Asian household and community. Filipinos are superstitious believers in signs and spirits.

This past Friday, I worked the 6p-6a shifts at a facility here in Arizona. Most residents under my care have some cognitive impairment and varying severity. I use a penlight when I do rounds, especially if they are asleep because I want to ensure they are not in any acute distress.  I entered the room of an elderly female resident, went near the bed, and saw that she was asleep. I was approaching the bedroom door to exit when I heard, Lulu? She startled me because I did not expect her to begin talking suddenly. I turned around and said yes and apologized if I had woken her. She said I did not wake her. She just crawled into bed because her visitor had just left. She went on to say what a wonderful time she had. This person brought her comfort, and her presence alone was more than she could ever ask for. She stares at me like she’s looking into my soul and says, she looks just like you around the eyes.  Thank you very much, Lulu, for sharing her with me.
Without even thinking, I asked who and instantly regretted it. Your daughter, she says. I reply with, what daughter?  Maria, Silly. I excused myself and informed her I would be finishing my rounds. I said good night, and she said, you’re a proud mama that loves her daughter. I immediately went into the utility room, and as I broke down, I got on the phone and asked my husband to check on our daughter Maria. Do not ask her if she is okay; I want you to look at her and ensure she is okay.  

I am not a superstitious fanatic, but I do believe in certain things. This is an experience I will never forget.

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

Anytime I worked a noc shift and had to do rounds, I was terrified to unexpectedly find a resident awake and staring right into my soul!! I cannot tell you how many times it happened, so I often found myself having to sing happy tunes and turn on the hall lights 😂 And I would ALWAYS play the tv in the background. 

• Like 2